Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Second Wednesday of the Vigil of St. Mary's: A Sabbath


Today is my Sabbath and I am at my mother's farm, having celebrated my brother's birthday with dinner last night, prepared by my mom, and eaten with her and both my brothers. Of course the dinner included pie, very delicious pie, made from pears from my mother's neighbor's tree.

Today, after the long drive yesterday, I rest. 


Sabbath, in it's theological meaning of stopping and ceasing to work, offers an invitation to enjoy the fruits of all of the labor of the past six days. I love that Sabbath allows me to have open spaces to allow good things to bubble up. To experience delight outside the whirlwind. 


For most who read this blog today, it is another busy work day. I pray that you will find a few minutes or even an hour this day for an open space to find delight and simply be. 

As I rest, I will continue to pray:  

Almighty and everliving God, ruler of all things in heaven and earth, hear our prayers for this parish family. 
Strengthen the faithful,  arouse the careless, and restore the penitent.
Grant us all things necessary for our common life, and bring us all to be of one heart and mind within your holy Church; through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Amen





No comments:

Post a Comment