Friday, April 10, 2015

Walking Easter Week with Preschool Steps


All clergy are tired Easter week. Walking with the parish through the way of the cross the Holy Week before, and then the marvelous joy of celebrating with hundreds of folks through four Sunday of the Resurrection Eucharists, is exhausting in a marvelous way. Added to my ministry of priest was my own quotidian life with my stolen wallet on Good Friday. Added to all, my twenty year old cat, Biz, died Easter Sunday afternoon, so I capped off the Feast of the Resurrection with a burial in my back yard. 

With kindness from others, so much kindness, on Easter Monday I flew to Bend to visit my grandboys, ages two (Jonas) and four (Austin).  Walking with them, I began my Easter rest. 




There are two parks nears where my son and his family live, and one of the things the boys and I like to do is take walks. Austin has a little bike he likes to ride, and Jonas and I saunter. Jonas wants to ride a bike, so when Austin puts his helmet on, Jonas does, too. It reminds me of Annie Dillards's words:

On the whole, I do not find Christians, outside of the catacombs, sufficiently sensible of conditions. Does anyone have the foggiest idea what sort of power we so blithely invoke? Or, as I suspect, does no one believe a word of it? The churches are children playing on the floor with their chemistry sets, mixing up a batch of TNT to kill a Sunday morning. It is madness to wear ladies’ straw hats and velvet hats to church; we should all be wearing crash helmets. Ushers should issue life preservers and signal flares; they should lash us to our pews. 

Crash-helmeted with the glory of God, Jonas and I walked hand in hand to the park at least once each day as Austin tore off ahead. It was definitely mindful walking.  Jonas, stepping ever so slowly while at the same time trying to keep Austin in sight and away from danger.  I couldn't leave Jonas, but had to take care of Austin by shouting reminders. 

Walking slower than normal.  Eyes open and vigilant. Crash helmets on. A little beyond what I find comfortable.  Full of joy and holding hands with love. Surprises all about us, through the eyes of children. Snacks, tissues, and water in my traveling bag. 

Alleluia! Christ is risen!   

++++++++++++++++

This is a photo we took after our walk in pajamas right before our slumber party while mom and dad went on a date.  Smile!  Christ is risen indeed!  Alleluia!




No comments:

Post a Comment