Sunday, March 9, 2014

First Sunday in Lent at New Hope


Springing forward, up for blueberry pecan pancakes, locally raised and cured  bacon, and locally roasted coffee. Even better than all that was eating it with my son, his wife, and my two grand boys.


Then, having lost an hour of morning because of daylight savings time, as I always do when I'm with my family in Bend, I have a fresh appreciation for the challenge it is to get a family, particularly with a toddler and a preschooler, off to church on a Sunday.


My family has been visiting a church close by, New Hope Church.  With welcoming nursery and preschool for the grand boys to be during church, we three adults went down the hall to worship.  We started with good praise music, reminiscent of the music we used to sing at St. Cuthbert, the church where my son was baptized and our family worshipped before I was ordained.  The pastor did a fine Bible teaching from James with a fresh reminder of the power of the words that come out of our mouths.  A final song and prayer, and we were home for a family lunch of delicious leftovers.

It was an amazing gift this first Sunday of Lent morning to be with my Oregon family for breakfast and worship.  We pray for the best things for our children and grandchildren, and to know that they have a wonderful place to come together with the people of God each week is the very best "yes" to a prayer.  I have to admit to being teary more than a few times with joy and thanksgiving to the God of good and prefect gifts.

Now the boys are napping, and maybe Grandma Texas, too.  Hoping that the sun will keep shining so we can have some outside adventures later this afternoon before a delicious steak dinner tonight.  Tomorrow is a very early flight home to Texas, my heart full precious memories that will carry me home.

On Ash Wednesday, Katie+, our curate, prayed an eloquent blessing on this trip.  Once again, glory to God whose power working in us can do infinitely more than we can ask or imagine through Jesus Christ our Lord.  Great praying, Katie+!





1 comment: