Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Tuesday: Full of Light



St. Patrick's Episcopal, North Carolina

Jesus said to them, "The light is with you for a little longer. Walk while you have the light, so that the darkness may not overtake you. If you walk in the darkness, you do not know where you are going. While you have the light, believe in the light, so that you may become children of light." 
 John 12. 35--36

This is the Gospel appointed for today, Holy Tuesday.  Someone asked me this morning how my Holy Week was going.  I told them that it felt like I was in the busy-ness of Jerusalem walking with Jesus as he carried his cross.  It feels like there is a whirlwind around me of voices, needs, distractions, and it's harder than easier to remember that today is not about the busy-ness but about the Jesus.

Granted, there are fires to put out (thankfully, not literally at this point).  There are worship leaflets to be proofed; there are words to be written; there are pastoral situations where I want to provide care.  There are phone calls to be made and returned; there are staff concerns to tend.  I am grateful that I have aplace to serve God where I am needed and valued, but it's a lot of noise all about me.

Church of the Incarnation, Bethlehem

Then I remember the light.  When I was on Sabbatical, into almost every church or holy place I went, I lit candles and prayed for one person or another, one group or another.  I lit candles in Israel, Jordan, England, and Scotland as well as several different states.  Each of those candles reminded me of the Light that is always with us.  

As I look out my window, the world is full of light.   It's one of those perfect spring days.  It's as if the Holy Spirit has lit one huge candle of love and joy.

In the midst of all that surrounds, I can hold that Light in my heart. Holding that Light, I can walk fully present with Christ.  Maybe by being more aware of that Light, I'll be able to share that Light with someone who is only seeing the darkness.  And Jesus has told us, that whenever we give to someone else, we give to him.  Seeing his light, I have something to share.  Sharing his light with someone else, I have in fact shared the light with him.   Not a bad way at all to walk with Jesus on the way to the cross this Holy Tuesday.

Church of the Sepulcher of St. Mary, Mount of Olives, Jerusalem


No comments:

Post a Comment