Monday, April 18, 2011

Walking with Jesus: Monday in Holy Week



The Daily Office for Holy Monday:
AM Psalm 51:1-18(19-20); PM Psalm 69:1-23
Jer. 12:1-16 + Phil. 3:1-14 + John 12:9-19

There are occasions in the Church calendar when time becomes especially focussed. Holy Week, the last week of Lent and the week before Easter, gives each day of the week it's own unique name--each day is that important. Yesterday was Palm Sunday. Today is Holy Monday. Tomorrow will be Holy Tuesday. The Church assumes that there will be daily worship, and even provides collects (prayers) and Scriptures for that day's celebration of the Holy Eucharist. Although we didn't celebrate Holy Eucharist at St. Mary's today, those praying Morning and Evening Prayer can pray this day's collect:

Almighty God, whose most dear Son went not up to joy but first he suffered pain,
and entered not into glory before he was crucified:
Mercifully grant that we, walking in the way of the cross,
may find it none other than the way of life and peace;
through Jesus Christ your Son our Lord,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever. Amen

I took today as my Sabbath, and so joined the other at home prayers and worshippers. I lit my candle and connected with all of us praying and worshipping at St. Mary's and elsewhere.

I took a walk. I made gingerbread. I knitted. I cleaned off book shelves and took books to the Northwest Library for their Friends of the Library Book Sale. I wrote to a couple of friends. I took a nap. I looked ahead to the Scriptures for Maundy Thursday and spent quiet time reading and beginning to pray about the sermon I'll preach that night. I prayed for my friends and family, and especially my family at St. Mary's.

I'm mindful that most everyone in the parish had a day full of busy-ness. I'll be joining them first thing tomorrow as the Holy Week push to Easter continues. But for now, I hold the parish in my heart and pray that they will each have moments of reaching out and grasping Jesus' hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment