Monday, September 29, 2014

Pilgrimage to Iona: Begun!


Whenever you read about folks' trips to Iona, there is always conversation about how you really, really, really have to want to get there.......to get there.   Of course if it were easy, it wouldn't be a pilgrimage. 

The screen in front of me says that I'm two hours from Amsterdam. As I look at the little screen, the icon of the plane is actually nearly over Iona. But I'm not there yet. Because it's a pilgrimage. 

From the chair where I sat in the Atlanta airport waiting for it to be time for me to board my plane, there was a poem written in a variety of languages.               


From the seat by the window
We peer through the viewfinder to all that is visible
Ascending, as we reflect on what we left behind and what is yet ahead
........We are in awe.

Outside my window it is black. Dark. Night. Nothing is visible. 
Not a bad thing. 
Because I'm on a pilgrimage. 

 I am the LORD…
Know that I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you home . . .
Genesis 28:13, 15


                 

No comments:

Post a Comment