Monday, May 5, 2014

The Pastor as Friend


I had unexpected rest yesterday.  Right after doing the half labyrinth and praying, as I was eating lunch, all of a sudden I felt nauseated, and the next thing I knew I was flat on my back with a stomach bug.  Sadly, I was unable to help Teri with the afternoon WTBG session on The Pastor as one who Plays, and I also was in bed through evening prayers and the outing to the Carrie Newcomer concert.


Today I was able to eat a little, and had enough strength to attend worship, and then to teach the morning session, The Pastor as Friend.  So many great Scriptures about friendship, and we especially enjoyed the study and conversation of the ones about Jesus and his friends Mary, Martha, and Lazarus.  One of the pastors suggested that the study we did on friendship might be a good one to do with folks new to our parishes; friendship as followers of Jesus is different.

I slept the afternoon away, but got up in time for Evening Praise.  It was a packed because the oblates had joined the Sisters for worship, and a man and a woman were making their oblation today.



Oblates are Christian laypersons who promise to live Benedictine spirituality in their chosen lifestyle, and are affiliated with a particular Benedictine monastic community. As an oblate of Our Lady of Grace myself, I was mindful of how I've been falling short in keeping my vows. I even forgot to bring my oblate pin to wear while I'm here at the monastery.

In the same way that each time there are baptisms in a community, it is an opportunity for all of the other baptized to re-up on their baptismal vows, I was reminded today to renew the commitment I'd made to follow the Rule of St. Benedict and particularly to be more intentional in my relationship with other oblates. Today is about the pastor as friend, after all.

A bonus I received at worship tonight was the Magnificat we sang.  According to the Rule of Benedict, the Song of Zechariah is to be prayed each morning and the Song of Mary each evening. Tonight it was my favorite version that we sang.  Thanks, God.

Mary's Song  by Millie Rieth


 My soul doth glory in your love, O Lord.

My soul doth glory in your love, O Lord.
For you gazed on your servant with compassion,
And you reached out and took me by the hand.

 Great are you, God, and holy is your name.

Your mercy reaches to the end of time.
Ah, the lowly your raise to the heavens,
And the proud-hearted have no part with you.

 Ah, how you fill the hungry with your love.

With empty hands the rich are sent away.
You will always be mindful of your mercy,
As you promised your people long ago.

 My soul doth glory in your love, O Lord.

My soul doth glory in your love, O Lord.
For you smiled on your servant with compassion,
And you reached out and took me by the hand.





No comments:

Post a Comment