Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Apostling in the Piney Woods


Today I start a retreat at Camp Allen, our Diocesan gathering place in the piney woods. I'm here as Chaplain-in-Residence which means I pray Morning and Evening Prayer each day in the Chapel (which is bigger than St. Mary's nave)--and cover any liturgical needs that might come up in the week.  In exchange, I stay in a cabin on the lake and get 3 CEUs. God is very good. 

Our Vestry and Ministry Council will spend the day with me on Saturday. I go back to preach at St. Mary's on Sunday, and our spin on World Mission Sunday, which is always the last Sunday after the Epiphany, is to anoint and commission parishioners to be missionaries in their everyday, not--so--quotidian lives. As God would have it, here is the word for the day from my morning devotional:

Apostle    (Br. David Veygof, Society of St. John the Evangelist)

You have been chosen to bear fruit, fruit that will last. This is a great honor and privilege: to be bearers of God’s light and love in the world, to give testimony to God’s compassion, grace and peace.


No comments:

Post a Comment