Tuesday, October 9, 2012

A Large Day on Holy Island

It was cold and sunny today which made it great for walking and cappuccinos.

The day started with Morning Prayer followed by Holy Communion at the parish church, St. Mary's, and ended back there for Evening Prayer. The worship concluded with a procession outside to the statute of St. Aidan where we closed our prayers. The walk back to my Bed and Breakfast was along the causeway as the sun set.

I spent time this afternoon walking around the ruins of the Benedictine Priory. I was thoughtful about the many ruins of once vital Christian communities I've visited on my Sabbatical. Although the buildings no longer stand, I believe that the effects of the people's prayers and worship and acts of service continue to be alive and bear fruit. I believe our lives are better because of their anonymous and hidden faithful acts.

I pray the same for what we do.

No comments:

Post a Comment