Sunday, July 5, 2009

So it begins


I am a sixth generation Texan (depending how you count the generations; my mother lives on land in north Texas that has been in her family since the 1840s). When I was made one of the candidates for Bishop of Connecticut, I decided that I needed to find a way to become better acquainted with the people of the state that God may be calling me to serve as bishop. Thus this blog. I hope that it will be a way for all of us to get better acquainted with the larger Church, in particular that part that calls itself Episcopalian.

We'll have some random ponderings from this Texas priest as I explore what God has in store for the parish where I now joyfully serve and the possibility of new friends made through the discernment and election process.

There is a prayer that I am praying that is adapted from one written by Jeanne Vogel, OSB, one of the Sisters of Our Lady of Grace Monastery in Beech Grove, Indiana. The parish I serve prayed it for two years everytime we gathered for worship as we discerned and listened for what God was calling us to do. Yes. Two years. Things rarely move fast at St. Mary's.

I've shared the prayer with the Episcopal Diocese of Connecticut. I'll share it with you:

Our God, the time is now and we are here.
We know that you have always called people to do special tasks when the time was ready and the need was great.
What would you have us do now?
How can we serve you best by using the gifts and talents you have given us?
Show us how you want us to serve the people of God who cry for peace and justice, who lack life’s necessities.
Please help us know what you are calling us to do here and now.
We are listening, God.
AMEN

Please join me as we see what God has in store.


No comments:

Post a Comment